Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Believe I CAN! I Believe YOU Can!


Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right.”  --Henry Ford

13+ weeks ago, I issued a fitness challenge.  My challenge was:  In order to help me to "keep moving forward" [with my exercise program], I would like to invite you to join me and participate in the “2011 Moving Forward Mary-thon”.  To date, I have received a positive "Count me In" response from 175 individuals.  As news of the Mary-thon travels and others see YOUR success, more people sign up.  Some have just come in the past couple of weeks!  I couldn't be more excited and more thrilled with the response!  THANK YOU!!!   

On December 23, 2010 the challenge went out, and I wanted to share with you a few of the many, many positive responses I received:

“Please add my name to the list. I've been doing better, but you may be the push I need. Thanks for keeping us healthy and happy.

“I’m in Texas walking for 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day on the beach (with a cane).  I used to be a runner before Multiple Myeloma did serious damage to my spine.  I don’t let it keep me down.  I’ll take your challenge since I already exercise almost every day.

“Count me in!  How could I not be on that list?  I love a challenge.

"I decided I'm going to train for my first half-marathon!  Thanks for the incentive!" 

“What a great idea!  I need and want to be a part of this "Mary-thon".  I am wanting to get back on track with my exercise program and this will be a great incentive for me, so, yes I am on board….So, sign me up!

Sign me up! I'm ready to go... this is fabulous!   Thanks!

I have been trying to find something to get me motivated and well, Mary . . . . . YOU did it!!!  I will sign up for your 26 week commitment.

“Your e-mail came at a good time.... I need to be accountable to someone, so if you don't mind.... sign me up!!!  Here's to starting a 26 week journey, one step at a time!!!! Thanks!!

My 3 daughters would like to be part of the Mary-thon if there is room and if you are allowing family members.  Could you please let me know if they can join?  Thanks!”  (Anyone is welcome – and they did sign up!)

“Please sign up my husband and me for the “Mary-thon”.  We commit to 30 min of exercise 5 days a week.  Thanks!”

Mary, I will happily join your Mary-thon group.  I already walk 2.2 miles, usually 6-7 days a week, but don't when vacationing or out of town.  This will encourage me to exercise even while away from home.  Thank you for creating this "mission”.”

“My husband and I just this morning talked about doing something to RETURN TO BETTER HEALTH, cholesterol, weight, etc.  and so I opened your email/blog and I AM GOING TO DO IT !!!!  You are such an inspiration to all of us, and your encouragement and sense of humor will be so valuable.  Thank you SOOooo much....I have to go get on the elliptical now!

“I would love to do this challenge for 2011.  I love how you set it up and am so thankful that you got this going :) I'm excited!!”

“Please sign me up for the 2011 Mary-thon.  I will finish..... I will finish......I WILL FINISH!!!!!!     Thanks for sharing your challenge with all of us.”

Can you feel the excitement as you read the words of other fellow Mary-thoners?  Can you feel their commitment and dedication to themselves and improving their health?  How about you?  Are you still excited?  Are you still committed?   Are you feeling better about yourself? Is your body feeling better?  I know there are a few of you out there who have fallen off the fitness wagon.  You CAN get back on - with 39 weeks left in the year there's plenty of time to find 26 weeks to start again and finish the Mary-thon. 
This week (Week #13) begins a defining moment in the 2011 Moving Forward Mary-thon:  it begins the half-way point.  From this week on, you will be finishing a “Half-Mary-thon” and heading toward the Mary-thon finish line!!! Congratulations to each of you!!! What an inspiring accomplishment!!!  I'm sure those around you have felt the impact of your dedication to yourself and your health!   BRAVO!  Conversely, if you are surrounded by "nay-sayers" calling you obsessed and trying to knock you off the fitness wagon from their perch on the couch, remember:  


"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."  
As Henry Ford said – whether you believe you CAN or believe you CAN’T, you’re probably right.  When you think back to the day you committed to the Mary-thon, did you believe that you COULD, or did you think you probably COULDN’T?  If you were the latter, my guess is that you are not currently participating in the Mary-thon and you’re thinking of a way you can avoid ever seeing me or e-mailing me again.   Please don't feel ashamed or embarrassed if you decided this challenge wasn't for you.  It's OK!!!  Some have asked "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?"  I want each of you to know that I am doing this because I care.  I care about fitness and health and eating properly and never having to visit the doctor for ailments related to a sedentary lifestyle.  But most of all, I really care about each of you.  I want you to be healthy and I want you to be happy!  I know how exercise and fitness has totally changed my life and I want to share that with anyone who will listen.  You may have felt that the Mary-thon just wasn’t for you but you have still found a way to keep fit and that’s OK too.  
Practically speaking – I still need to order the 2011 Moving Forward Mary-thon finishers medals and need to know how many of you will be meeting me at the finish line.  So – here’s what I need from you this week:
1.      If you plan to finish the Mary-thon (26 weeks of exercise, 5 days per week, 30 minutes per day with a 2 week “grace” period) by December 31, 2011, PLEASE let me know.  I can only order the medals once – and I want to have a medal for each person who finishes.
2.      When you have finished the first 13 weeks of the Mary-thon (the Half-Mary-thon), please e-mail mary.balagna@gmail.com with your home address so that I can send you a little motivational gift of encouragement to help you through the next 13 weeks.  
Congratulations to each of you for your OUTSTANDING success and I want to sincerely thank you for motivating ME to Keep Moving Forward! 
As always – “Keep Moving Forward”!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment